- ...One in ten children die before their first birthday
- ...One in six children die before their fifth birthday
- ...44% of the population of Ethiopia is under 15 years old
- ...60% of children in Ethiopia are stunted because of malnutrition
- ...The median age in Ethiopia is 17.8 years
- ...1.5 million people are infected with AIDS (6th highest in the world)
- ...720,000 children have been orphaned by AIDS alone
- ...Per capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any country in Africa
- ...In the 90s the population (3%) grew faster than food production (2.2%)
- ...Drought struck the country from 2000-2002 (first year no crops, second year no seeds, third year no animals)
- ...Half the children in Ethiopia will never attend school. 88% will never attend secondary school.
- ...Coffee prices (Ethiopia’s only major export) fell 40-60% from 1998-2002.
- ...Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000.
- ...In 1993, after 30 long years of war, Eritrea broke from Ethiopia and became an independent nation leaving Ethiopia landlocked without any major seafaring ports.
Just something to think about...